Kimchi Stew (Kimchi Jjigae)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups kimchi, roughly chopped (reserve the juices!)
- 1 L chicken stock (substitute with water)
- 2 Tbsp gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
- 3 spring onions, chopped into finger length sections
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2½ tsp sesame oil, to garnish
- 200 g silken tofu, cut into 1 cm cubes (optional)
Boil the kimchi stew
In a large soup pot, add chicken stock, 2 Tbsp gochujang, 1 tsp gochugaru, 1 Tbsp sugar, and 1½ tsp sesame oil.
Add the kimchi and its juices, as well as the spring onions. If you’re using tofu, you can add them at this point. Bring to a boil.
- For the tofu, look for packets labeled “silken tofu for frying” as these types of tofu doesn’t fall apart too easily in soup
Simmer the kimchi stew
After it’s bubbled away for 5 minutes, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Plate the dish
Drizzle 1 tsp sesame oil and serve with steamed rice.